Friday, November 9, 2012

Real vs Unreal


I had the weirdest dream last night. One of the Niger delta big boys recently moved into my estate and the front of his house is always filled with cars and random men. Literally ALL the time i go by, people are sitting outside drinking or chatting or just staring. I can't avoid his house because it's on the way to/from mine *sigh*. Anyway, I dreamt of this man(whom I have never met/do not even know what he looks like). In my dream, he was trying to recruit my flatmate and I. Some type of temporary tattoo was being drawn on our arm with the promise of a permanent one to come. We were told we had two days to decide if we were going to accept to get the permanent version(which he had already promised us was going to be extremely painful). I remember running home and immediately calling my mum. I was so frantic and i kept telling her I had to relocate because I was scared for my life. I obviously was not planning to get the permanent version so my answer in two days will definitely be NO. During the duration of this dream, I felt like it was all real. Even after i woke up, it took about two minutes to finally realise it was all a dream and extremely unreal.

I woke up to a tweet on my twitter timeline this morning which read: 

"So you gained weight in over a period of 5 years, and you want it gone in 2 months.....makes sense???"

Now there is a context to which this tweet would in itself have made sense but the author failed to include that caveat and that in itself, made this tweet extremely debatable. Of course you can lose weight that was gained over a period of five years in two months. I don't think the focus should have been on the period over which the weight was gained but instead the amount that was gained. I personally know a ton of people who have achieved this with the most recent being my college friend Joan who lost hers through weight watchers. You need to see her today. She went from a size 12/14 to a size 6/8 in less than two months i might add. In my opinion, the real question should be "How much weight was gained?". "Weight gained over a period of five years" is an extremely subjective measure. You could gain from as little as 5 pounds to as much as 100 pounds over a period of five years. That tweet could both be very real and very unreal as well.

I spent the latter part of my yesterday interviewing some students for five spots in a club I co-founded with four others. The name of this club alone is a good way of deducing the qualities we are looking for in the candidates we will eventually choose and in my opinion, a great way of disqualifying yourself before wasting ten minutes of my time. Every time i interview people, I sympathize with people on the HR(Human relations) track. Ten minutes in, and all i want to do is rip my hair out and scream. Imagine doing that as a career. HELL NO! You ask a candidate a question and he/she spends five minutes telling you why that question is a very good question. Like come on! Of course I know it's a good question. That's why i asked it damnnnit!!! Let's just say my frustration level was at an all time high and after everything, only one candidate impressed me. People really need to learn how to go straight to the point during interviews. The interviewers more often than not have a ton of people to interview. Beating about the bush only makes you a thorn in their side. I am still wondering how some of the people I interviewed could have realistically thought they were a good fit. Case of real being soooo unreal. 

It's friday(In case you weren't aware :p) whhoooppp!!!!!! I honestly don't have anything planned for the weekend but it's always awesome knowing you have two days to just sleep if that's all you plan to do. I have a marketing plan to turn in very soon and I have decided to use one of my family businesses for the plan. I'm very excited about that. Dunno if i told you guys i was going for the John Molson case competition in January. Totally looking forward to that as well although there's so much to do in terms of getting ready. I am trying to feel like a winner. I never do that because i always think it is unrealistic. I mean it is safe to assume everyone participating in the competition has what it takes to win. All you can realistically do is your best right? Well.....this time, i want to tell conventional real to take a hike and embrace the idea that I WILL WIN(my team that is). I will also go out on a limb and call that real as well albeit unconventional.

My song for the day is "River" by Emeli Sande.

 Till tomorrow or next,

Smile,
Live,
Afrobooboo


No comments:

Post a Comment